Resilience might be eligible for word of the year. You hear it everywhere you go. We talked a lot about resilience during the Pandemic. How do we bounce back and adapt?
One definition of resilience is “The capacity to withstand or to recover quickly from difficulties; toughness.”
Clearly, we need to embrace resilience as human beings. In a chaotic, unpredictable world where the only constant is change, you might drive yourself mad if you cannot adapt.
But more importantly, how is the skill of resilience strengthened, taught, or learned?
Today I share two examples from my childhood on how I learned resilience that I hope will not only enlighten you, but entertain you. (HINT: One involves my theater geek high school days!)
To access the episode transcript, please click on the episode title at http://www.TheEmpathyEdge.com
- Practice having a growth mindset – it is not about being externally praised, it is about your innate desire to practice and improve and look at what can be tweaked to change the outcome on your next attempt.
- Learn from those losses in your life. You can process the grief of losing but still embrace the opportunities in front of you.
- Try anyway! Even if you don’t have all of the boxes checked for whatever you’re aiming to do, try anyway, you may surprise yourself with what you do accomplish.
I learned from moments like that to process my grief over what I’d lost, but embrace what was in front of me – and make it my own. — Maria Ross
- Dinah Manoff from Grease: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001503/
- Growth Mindset: https://hbr.org/2016/01/what-having-a-growth-mindset-actually-means
- #Hypewomen: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hype-women/id1704488532
- Greater Good, Five Science-Backed Strategies to Build Resilience: https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/five_science_backed_strategies_to_build_resilience
Brand Story Breakthrough course to help you craft a clear, compelling brand story – includes weekly office hours with Maria!
Join the tribe, download your free guide! Discover what empathy can do for you: http://red-slice.com/business-benefits-empathy
Connect with Maria:
Get the podcast and book: TheEmpathyEdge.com
Learn more about Maria and her work: Red-Slice.com
Hire Maria to speak at your next event: Red-Slice.com/Speaker-Maria-Ross
Take my LinkedIn Learning Course! Leading with Empathy
LinkedIn: Maria Ross
Facebook: Red Slice