Leaders, listen up: Have you ever heard the improv maxim, “Yes, and….?”
In my work researching, writing, and speaking to audiences about the power of empathy, a magnet has pulled me to one notion that gets in the way in almost every dysfunctional workplace or societal conversation.
Let me explain…
To access the episode transcript, please click on the episode title at http://www.TheEmpathyEdge.com
- Our brains both defend us and hold us back due to cognitive dissonance. We want only one thing to be true because it is more simple, but simplicity is not always the answer.
- Either/or thinking is broken and got us, as a society, into our current mess.
- Dialectics is understanding we can hold two, seemingly contradictory things, to be true at the same time. It is a concept that will strengthen our businesses and our lives outside of work.
“In our world and workplaces today, it no longer serves us to focus on either/or thinking. We must embrace BOTH/AND.” — Maria Ross
- Improv’s famous “Yes, and…”
- Discover more about the power of empathy and how to apply it to make a difference in your work and life at your organization or event!
- Psychology Today, Cognitive Dissonance: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/cognitive-dissonance
- Seeing things differently: Red Slice blog, Representation Matters: https://www.red-slice.com/representation-matters/
- Red Slice blog, What Leadership Success Requires in Today’s World: https://www.red-slice.com/what-leadership-success-requires-in-todays-world/
- Behavioral Psych Studio, What the heck is a dialectic? https://behavioralpsychstudio.com/what-the-heck-is-a-dialectic/
Brand Story Breakthrough course to help you craft a clear, compelling brand story – includes weekly office hours with Maria!
Join the tribe, download your free guide! Discover what empathy can do for you: http://red-slice.com/business-benefits-empathy
Connect with Maria:
Get the podcast and book: TheEmpathyEdge.com
Learn more about Maria and her work: Red-Slice.com
Hire Maria to speak at your next event: Red-Slice.com/Speaker-Maria-Ross
Take my LinkedIn Learning Course! Leading with Empathy
LinkedIn: Maria Ross
Facebook: Red Slice